Friday 3 September 2010

Upcoming Updates To WiFi File Explorer


After the recent surge in sales of WiFi File Explorer PRO, I also received a surge in emails in parallel to that; some previously undiscovered bugs and some cool new ideas.  I have managed to make a few bug fixes and upgrades in the past couple of days, but before I explain them below, let me just explain something else first...

The idea behind WiFi File Explorer is one of beautiful simplicity - it's just a quick and easy way to transfer files and directories to and from your phone without the need for cables or removing SD cards.  I decided to keep everything simple and easy to use; no configuration needed, no buttons, easy to read instructions, clean interface and everything just works from the moment you start the application (apart from a couple of small bugs you guys found ;) ).  By having a nice, simple, plain HTML webpage (with a bit of Javascript) I can be sure it will be compatible with all browsers.  So by sticking to these principles of keeping everything simple, clean and efficient, we all have a very reliable application to use day in, day out.  It doesn't try and do anything else other than what it claims to and I think that by sticking to these core principles is what makes it appealing to most users - if things are useful, work easily and don't cost a lot, people will like them.  Simple!  It's also why I can offer it to you for the bargain price of £0.69 - literally a few pennies that could end up saving you a lot of bother when it comes to moving files around.

So because of this philosophy behind WiFi File Explorer, I am not going to go mad by adding too many bells and whistles ... but what I am going to do is add some new features that are simple and efficient, and will help to make it even more of a pleasure to use.  I'll list the bug fixes and new features after the jump:

In the update I will be making later tonight, the following will be included:
  • Support for special (unicode) characters - everyone worldwide can now enjoy WiFi File Explorer!;
  • Fix the bug that prevented filenames with an ' in the name from being deleted and copied;
  • Add multi-select support to delete and zip multiple files at once;
  • Icons next to files and directories to denote the type;
  • Make the file list clearer with regards to row colouring.
In the near future I will also be adding:
  • Password support;
  • The ability to configure the port number;
  • Add multi-select support to delete and zip multiple directories at once;
  • Option to create new directories;
  • Easier navigation to parent directories;
  • More sorting options.
And in the further future, I will be adding:
  • The ability to rename files and directories;
  • Thumbnails/galleries for images;
  • Possibly the ability to move files and directories (but not drag and drop);
  • A more accurate progress bar;
  • And of course, a pony (???).
Any more ideas are always welcomed, so don't be afraid to email me at pauldyble82@gmail.com.  But remember though, I want to keep to the core principles that allow this application to be simple, efficient and most importantly to you guys, cheap! ;)

8 comments:

  1. Awesome! The password feature is probably the only one that is really important to me. Even without it, it is a great app and I was happy to spend such a small amount on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how about a "install" button next to uploaded apk files?

    great app. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. i dunno why but after the update the files are not unziping for me anymore. i have a N1 and on froyo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, I broke unzipping with some of my poorly written Javascript ;) Just made an update with the fix on the Android Market and SlideMe.

    Also, I like the idea of auto installing APKs - I will add this to my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It works now. Thank you for the fix, that was super fast. You have a great little program here! How hard would it be to not have to zip multiple files in order to send to phone? I think that it would be a perfect program if we could just send folders instead of zipping. Still, I love it... I hate getting my cable just to upload a 50mb album to the phone

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure if it's possible to upload a directory or not; I only know about uploading files using HTTP POST. However, I thought uploading 1 ZIP file would be more efficient as it is only a single file and should be more compressed than a directory structure (although there would be little difference in compression for MP3s, admittedly).

    I will be looking to add an 'auto unzip on upload' checkbox at some point to make the process slightly shorter, but for now I need to finish coding this password protection implementation ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic app! I had a cumbersome system set up to sync recorded radio programs to a dropbox folder, then d/l them from the cloud, but it was slow and prone to errors. Now I can just log in from my browser each night and delete old programs and upload new ones. Well worth the price! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will be great idea for teachers to read these useful advices. Here you can learn more about writing cover letter

    ReplyDelete